Old, Comfy Shoes

Monday, November 08, 2004

Thoughts on Modesty

So just as I go to Bible Study with some pretty great guys, I also go with some pretty awesome girls.

Last night was our first women's Bible study and we talked about modesty. I expected to go and nod and just listen. Why? Because I considered myself to dress modestly, yet fashionable. As my friend Amberly put it "not homely, but not a slut".

I was however, challenged and I left with a better understanding of what modesty really is. I realized that my attitude towards how I dress needs to change. I shouldn't be looking at my wardrobe and determining what I could "get away with" and still be modest. My criteria used to be: don't dress like a prostitute - because we all know how much respect dressing like that will get you.

That's not a very good measure of what to wear or what not to wear. I should ask with every outfit - does dressing like this glorify God? As one of our wonderful leaders, Angela put it, "I want people to see Who I worship by how I dress. I don't want to look like everyone else."

Now I know some of you are probably thinking "Wow. Andi is going to start wearing brown shapeless dresses..... or become a nun. She's a freak."

I happen to like brown shapeless dresses, thank you very much....

Just kidding. I really believe that you can dress attractively and modestly at the same time. And to be honest, its not that hard. It just takes time and energy to always check what you are wearing.

After last night I have a better understand about the importance of dressing modestly. There are three things it does: 1. Glorifies God 2. Protects my purity 3. Removes distractions from fellow believers.

There are some clothes that I have that I wish I had never worn around people. I feel like I should apologize for wearing them because they don't glorify God. They were part of a grey area in modesty that I rationalized. Well no more grey areas. I don't want to ever be thought of as dressing inappropriately.

So if you will excuse me, I have some more clothes to go through....

|