Old, Comfy Shoes

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Indus River, Plastic Explosives and a Pastor

The village in India that my team worked in was on the Indus River. The Indus River is owned by Pakistan as India and Pakistan set up this agreement that Pakistan would own all the water rights to the Indus River. Which means that India can't do anything with the river without first asking permission from Pakistan. Mexico totally should have done that with the Rio Grande. Anyway, here's a picture of from when we went rafting down the Indus.

So I'm sure you have all heard about the tensions between India and Pakistan. There have been some agreements made between the two countries, but they all may come undone by a local pastor who fishes in the Indus River with plastic explosives.

Yep. He fishes in the protected river with plastic explosives. One of the workers in Ladakh went fishing with him once and the instructions he got were, "After I light this we have to run and duck behind a rock and cover our heads just in case."

The pastor still mocks them for being afraid. I would be afraid too if my pastor was lighting a homemade bomb and throwing it in a river; a river protected by a country who's army is on the border not too far from my house.

But I still think it's great and wished I could have gone fishing with him.

|