Old, Comfy Shoes

Friday, May 27, 2005

Why birthday's at my house are always an adventure

My family and I celebrated my birthday last night. I was told that we were going out to eat but when I asked if I could pick where we went, my mom immediately said "no". When she couldn't remember the name of the place we were going to, I knew something was up.

My dad tried to cover it by telling me about some friend of theirs who was a chef.... no wait... a caterer. I didn't believe we were going to his house for dinner either. No one would tell me what was going on.

We ate at home and then drove out to the middle of nowhere to someone's house. I didn't find out what we were doing until we were standing in a strangers house with my brother video taping everything. I felt like I was on some cheesy reality show.

Remember that random list of things I wanted to do? Well my parents arranged it so that I could accomplish #1. Yep. I got to drive an 18-wheeler last night. Through a hay field. It was sooo cool.

Did you know those things have 18 gears going forward and 4 in reverse? And the clutch on those things a lot rougher than on my car! I learned a lot about semi's yesterday like how engine braking works, what kind of suspension systems they have and how they measure their loads.

It was a very unique birthday that I enjoyed. Except for when the guy kept telling me I looked 12 and not 22. He better be glad I didn't drive his rig into his house. Oh well.

I also got to blow the horn. It was a good day.

|