Old, Comfy Shoes

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Home

DunDunDunDah!!! I'm back!

The mission trip was great! We went to Jackson, Mississippi to serve at the Baptist Children's Village. We played with the kids and worked on maintenance projects around their campuses. Hard work, but so rewarding. I'm still processing everything I learned from the trip. It wasn't a life-changing trip, but I did learn some good lessons. More on those later.

On Monday night we were playing capture the flag in the dark with the kids. It was game #3 and I was put on defensive for this game. My job was to stay hidden and guard the flag. I found the perfect spot behind a large tree. I could see around the flag and I was close enough to run out and tag someone who got too close. Early in the game the red team was circling us. We could see them, but they couldn't see us. We just waited.

At first I just felt a bite on my back. Which was strange since I hadn't seen any mosquitoes. Then I started to feel them on my ankles. One and two at first then it soon escalated into many bites. It took me a while but I figured out that I was standing in some kind of insect hole. I go running to Andy to ask which building is unlocked and he tells me to run to my cottage. At this point the bites are starting to move from uncomfortable to painful. I run hard to my cottage.

I get there and throw off my shoes and clothes to discover tons of tiny little ants all over me and my clothes. Yep. Come to find out, I was standing on a fire ant hill. I had a few blisters the next day, but nothing I couldn't handle.

Hurray for no fire ants in Ohio!

|