Old, Comfy Shoes

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Mrs. J

Mrs. J is one of the neatest ladies I know. We meet regularly to study the Bible and share what God has been teaching us. Even though she is 60 years older than me, the lessons from scripture span all ages.

She is a great example of someone who is purposeful in every area of her life. She is in intense pain from knee problems and even though her surgery keeps getting pushed back, she just smiles and says "Oh I wish this was over with, but God is never early or late and I just need to wait for His timing." She's not worried about her surgery because in her words "If God wants me to walk, I'll walk. If He doesn't... well then there is nothing I can do about that. I just need to trust in Him." No. She's not concerned with how her surgery turns out, she's more concerned with the people she meets at the hospital and rehab center. What if she didn't pack enough Bibles to give to everyone who needs one?

She reminds me that the trivial things in life are just that, trivial. She reminds me that while I have most of my life before me, I must use it for God's glory, or I may get to the end of it and realize I wasted it on things that didn't matter. She and her husband prove that God does not have a retirement plan for His people. In every stage of our lives, we have opportunities to serve Him and the people around us - we are never done.

I love meeting with Mrs. J. I hope that when I am 80some years old I will have lived a life as devoted to Christ as she has.

She has surgery this Friday at 7:30 am. Would you please pray for her?

|