Old, Comfy Shoes

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Super Women

I was thinking today that I know some pretty incredible people. I mean not just average people. But wow-your-socks-off-kind-of-people. They intimidate me and intrigue me.

I have one friend who didn't go to college. No. She decided to start lobbying for the persecuted church around the world instead. Yeah, she is currently the Executive Director of Stand Today - an organization that is bringing the persecution of Christians around the world to light. And she is writing a book. And regularly flies to D.C. to visit with congressmen and senators to give advice and information about world affairs. I can't compete with that. I mean what have I got? An A on my management exam? Hands down she wins. She literally rocks the world.

Then there is this other girl who is very quirky and so very intelligent. She can quote almost every piece of classic literature. She was an aspiring ballerina who danced everywhere she went, until she had surgery on her spine and had to stop. But I never heard her complain. When she was a teenager and her family got a computer and internet access, she decided that she would like to learn something about investments. So she told her dad some good investments to make, and he did and made enough money to double the size of their house. Then one day she stopped, because it ceased to be fun and he stopped making money. She's an amazing girl.

I have another friend who graduated from college and felt God calling her to teach English in China. So she went. Left her family for 2 years to learn a foreign language and culture and reach a people desperate for truth. She's working with eternity in mind and changing lives.

Yeah. Amazing, incredible women. Women who in small ways are changing the world they live in. I look at their lives and I must ask myself: what am I doing?

|