Old, Comfy Shoes

Friday, January 14, 2005

The Apprentice

I've never seen The Apprentice. I have managed to keep up with the show because EVERYONE AND THEIR MOM TALKS ABOUT IT. We even have discussed it my management classes. As if talking about reality T.V. is just as good as talking about reality.

Anyway, I am on The Apprentice. No. Really. I am. It takes the form of business school. The only difference is that I don't get a new wardrobe, there is no make-up, I get no air-time and I pay for it. Oh and at the end I get a piece of paper, not a job.

Business School and The Apprentice are similar in that there is an insane amount of team projects. Most of these involve papers and presentations but occasionally they will step it up a notch. My current team project that will run my life is one where we are working with a charity to create a tech center for their tutoring program. We raise the money for it, get media coverage, set it up, etc... At the end we are evaluated on our effectiveness to work in teams and our leadership abilities. It'll be fun, just tons of work.

We can also get fired. Not so much by our professor, but by our fellow team members. If your team wants to fire you (aka you fail) you have to justify why you should be kept on the team. It can get pretty stressful.

We also sit around and talk about our decisions for a horrendous amount of time. Because everyone knows that the best thing to do is to talk everything through. Eventually you'll run out of time and never have to act on any decision. It's a win-win situation! Or if you made a decision, it's a good thing to discuss that for forever instead of moving on to the next thing.

So that's my sarcastic post about my school. Did I mention I am graduating in 6 months?

|