Old, Comfy Shoes

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

All Eyes On You

No matter what kind of person you are, people watch you. You may be shy, outgoing, quiet, loud, wallpaper, or the center of attention, it doesn't matter. People will always notice something about you. Sociologists say that even the most introverted person will influence 10,000 people in an average lifetime. Holy Cow! That's a whole lot of pressure to be a positive influence.

I was recently made aware of the number of people who watch me in a setting that I didn't think I was really noticed. Bump the pressure up a notch. Not only that, but they talk about me. Not in a gossipy way, but in a guess-what-goofy-thing-Andi-did way. Kick the pressure up two more notches.

I don't mean to say this in an arrogant people-always-pay-attention-to-me kind of way. Not at all. Everyone gets noticed, whether you believe it or not; you are influencing the people around you.

To be honest, this attention scares me. I am called to set an example in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity for fellow believers. People are to see Christ in me by my love. That's a heavy call. A scary call. A humbling call. It reminds me to always check what example I am setting.

What example are you setting?

|