Old, Comfy Shoes

Saturday, October 30, 2004

Can't Have It Your Way

Tamara and I ran into a little problem the other night when we went out to eat. I had to pay with plastic and she was paying with cash. Here is a conversation we had at Steak and Shake at the drive-thru:

Mr. Speakerphone: Welcome to mumblemumblemumble take your order?

Me: Ummmm... Yeah. I am going to place two orders, OK?

Mr. Speakerphone: Ma'am. We can't take two orders. We can only take one order per car.

Me: Alright. I am going to place one order and then back up, pull up here again and place another order.

Mr. Speakerphone: You can't do that Ma'am.

Me: Well why not?

Mr. Speakerphone: You have to drive all the way around the building and get back in the drive-thru.

Me: Says who?

Mr. Speakerphone: My manager.

Me: Well can I speak to your manager please?

Mr. Speakerphone: He's in a pretty grumpy mood. I don't think you really want to.

Me: No. I don't want to talk to grumpy people.

Mr. Speakerphone: You could place one order and pay for it two different ways. We can split it up anyway you want.

Me: THAT'S WHAT I ASKED THE FIRST TIME!

Mr. Speakerphone: No. You asked to place two orders. We don't do that.

Me: Ok. Hi. I would like to place one order and it's going to be split up 2 different ways.

Mr. Speakerphone: What can I get you?

When we got to the window to pay he explained to us that the building only goes one way and no. you couldn't back up and then decide you want to get back in the drive-thru without driving around the whole building. We could cause an accident. Whatever.

Ten bucks says he spit in our food.

|