Old, Comfy Shoes

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Meeting the Devil

The devil lives in Braintree Massachusetts. To be specific the devil is a large African-American women with a heavy Boston accent and no patience for people who don't know their train fare. Not only does the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority employ Satan, but as an equal opportunity employer, they hire demons as well. One demon takes the form of a small Indian women who works at the parking garage.

Our first encounter with said demon occurred after driving past the same 10 full parking spaces. We looked longingly at the empty but blocked-off spaces on the other side of the wall. Unable to take it anymore, I jumped out of the car, knocked on the booth window and woke up the little demon.

"Excuse me. I was wondering where we could park."

"Turn in the second entrance on the left," she said with angry eyes.

"Yeah....... It's blocked."

"Munuf um barnacles."

"I'm sorry, what was that?"

"PULL YOUR CAR IN AND I'LL MOVE THE BARREL'S." She yelled.

Right. How could I have missed that that the first time?

After driving into the parking garage under the hateful gaze of the Parking Garage Demon we walked inside the station to meet the wrath of Satan. Fortunately for us an English couple approached the counter first.

"Hello. We would like to go to Boston and then into Cambridge." The man said.

"HOW MANY TOKENS?" The Devil roared.

"Well we would like to go to Boston and then to Cambridge."

"YOU CAN'T GO TO CAMBRIDGE FROM HERE. YOU HAVE TO GO TO BOSTON."

"Umm.... ok..."

"HOW MANY TOKENS?" She yelled again.

"How many to Boston?" He asked.

"2!!!!"

"For just one of us or both of us?"

Thoroughly exasperated at being asked questions which one would think were her job to answer, she screamed back, "JUST ONE!!!"

"Oh. Right. Well then we need 4 tokens."

It was now our turn. Tamara cautiously approached the booth as one would approach a Soup Nazi in New York. She quickly slid her money through the slot and asked for 2 tokens. I walked up and proclaimed that I wanted to go to Boston. Satan gave me a death look of "Get-that-happy-I'm-a-tourist-in-Boston-look-off-your-face-or-I-will-kill-you." Geez lady. Lighten up. Amberly stepped in front of the booth and yelled that she wanted 2 tokens at the devil. With a few snarls and growls we managed to extract our tokens from the devil and quickly walked through the gates.

I love meeting new people. I'll write more about my trip to New England later.

|