Old, Comfy Shoes

Friday, August 20, 2004

The Man of my Dreams

I met the man of my dreams in Huntsville. Well not really. But he thought he was. He is an engineer from Boeing who travels around and fixes things. Before that he worked on "kinky" things like double fiber reinforced RTM fuel tanks. Honest to goodness that's what he told me. Yes. He used the word kinky. As if that wasn't enough to make any woman fall at his feet, he shared some of his experiences from college. The most interesting part of our conversation went something like this:

Him: So I was in a program in college where we built rockets. We would have won, but our rocket hit something.

Me: What did you hit?

Him: A tank. But that guy wasn't supposed to be driving back there. I also made a pumpkin launcher.

Me: A pumpkin launcher?

Him: Yeah. There is nothing like seeing a pumpkin flying through the air and burning pieces of it falling to the ground.

Well dang-it. I have found the man of my dreams. Who wouldn't marry someone who has done all that? Oh but wait. There's more. He also helped build a concrete canoe. But they got disqualified because they made it bullet proof. Too much fiber and not enough concrete or something.

Me: Why would you need a bullet proof canoe?

Him: Well we were going to tow our second rocket out on the lake and launch it. If something went wrong we didn't want bolts to fly off and kill the operator.

Me: (thoroughly impressed) Oh I see.

Him: But that wasn't as much fun as strapping a rocket to a bicycle.

At this point my co-booth-inhabitor, Ernie, points out that that seems pretty dangerous.

Him: Nah. We were on a flat road that ran into a cotton field. Plus I was wearing a helmet and a flame retardant suit. All our stuff had safety factors over 23.

This guy was very entertaining. Rednecks with and education always do interesting things. Too bad I didn't get his phone number! You never know when you might need a guy who can build rockets, pumpkin launchers and concrete canoes.

|