Old, Comfy Shoes

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Festival

This weekend I went to the festival downtown. It was highly enjoyable; there were some great bands that were there and the fireworks were amazing. I was however, disappointed by the lack of patriotism that was shown at said festival. Granted, the theme of the festival was celebrating the cultural diversity of our country, but shouldn't we also celebrate our country on the day set aside for doing so?

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing Brazilian dances that teach the art of fighting and I'm all for Aboriginal artwork, but I also love my country and would at least like to see a flag flying somewhere. I think playing music during a fireworks display is awesome, but what does "When a Man Loves a Women" or Arthea singing about "RESPECT" have anything to do with the freedom we have in the United States?

I really don't see that they do.

Besides being decidedly unpatriotic, the festival did allow me to run into some interesting people. The drunk people trying to Salsa were probably at the top of the list. As were the 15 year olds who hit on 21 year olds. That's just gross.

It was also a good reminder that not everyone I went to High School with is as interested in other people's lives as I am. This makes for awkward conversations that are hard to end. Next time I'll just let them walk on by. I can catch them at our reunion in a couple years.

The 4th of July parade in my hometown was more patriotic by an order of magnitude and then some. I'll post pictures once I get them developed. These are photos of everything except for my mom and sister's float. I ran out of film before they got to me. Yep. Felt like a moron who doesn't look at the counter. But in my defense they were float number 43. It took a while to get to me and I took a lot of photos in the mean time.

|