Old, Comfy Shoes

Saturday, July 17, 2004

Click it or Ticket

This may not be the most thought out argument but here we go.
 
There shouldn't be a law requiring people to wear motorcyle helments. I think people are stupid if they don't wear one, but the government shouldn't make them wear a helment.
 
Why?
 
Because that's not the government's job. The government is there to pave roads and make sure its citzens don't kill each other. Not to mandate personal safety.
 
But people die when they don't wear a helment.
 
Yes they do. But should the government tell us not to act foolishly? No. They need to back up off my grill and stop meddling in my life. Let me kill myself in a motorcyle accident if I want.
 
But everyone's insurance will go up.
 
Yes. And that sucks. But I think insurance companies should refuse to cover people who don't wear helments, or require a higher premium for them.
 
I also don't think the government should require seat belts to be worn for the same reason.
 
That's all. I'm off my soap box and done with my random tirade.

|