Old, Comfy Shoes

Saturday, June 26, 2004

It Builds Character

Ok. So a long time ago I promised to write some more about the tough love of my parents. So here it is.

When I was little we bought a new mini van. And shortly after getting our van my mom drove down to drop something off at our neighbors house. Now, we live on a small rural one lane, no outlet road. Since only about 15 cars drive down this road a day, it's generally not a problem. However, when two school buses meet, then it's time to pull out the lawn chairs and sit in the front yard and watch.

Being a kid, I was enthralled with all the new gadgets of our van. I thought it was pretty cool that we had vinyl everything in the van so we could hose it down. We were driving back from my neighbors and I decided the middle seat isn't cool anymore, and the front seat really is where all the action is. So move I did. At the same time our neighbors dog ran out in front of us. My mom can't swerve, cuz it's a one lane road, so she slammed on the brakes. Good thing that dashboard was there to catch my face.

My mom's response was a little less sympathetic than I would have liked.

"You broke the cup holder!"

Sure enough, I snapped that thing right off.

"Mom, my chin hurts."

"You broke the cup holder!!!!"

Thought we already covered that. "But MOOOOOMMMMMM, My chin really hurts."

"Now we can't use this cup holder!"

"MOM!!! I hit my face on the van and it hurts."

"Oh. Well why were you walking around in a moving vehical anyway. Sit down and buckle up."

Oh the happy childhood memories... We never did get that cup holder fixed. It made our new van that much cooler - It had carpet AND a cupholder!

|