Old, Comfy Shoes

Friday, June 11, 2004

Cleveland Rocks

Wow. It's been a too long since I've last posted. I was going to post sooner than this - I swear. But after finals and I returned from my trip, the stupid lightning knocked our phone and DSL out.

Anyway, I just returned from my FIRST EVER BUSINESS TRIP! I went to Cleveland for the Great Lakes Photonics Symposium. Let me tell you - it was so exciting!

Well some interesting things did happen. Here is a journal entry from that trip:

6/9/04
This is the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in! But first let me tell about my trip up to Cleveland.

I had to change into a skirt on the way here - I figured it would look more professional and such. So I stopped at a grocery store since changing clothes and driving just seems like a bad idea, almost as bad as changing drivers while driving. I parked fairly far away from the store so I could change in my car, and since it was raining I was confident that no one would park next to me. As soon as I get my pants off, a guy pulls up next to me! HOLY COW! The thought crossed my mind to just drive off, but what would I do then? What if I got pulled over? I can just see it: "Yes, Officer I am driving in my underwear, is that a problem?" So I decide to stick it out and pull my skirt on as fast as possible. Why does my foot decide to get stuck in hems at such bad times? Luckily, my parking lot neighbor decided not to subject his cell phone to the rain and stayed in his car without looking over to mine. I pulled my skirt on right as he stepped out of his car and looked into mine. What ever happened to privacy? Geez! And why didn't I ever get my windows tinted, dangit?

So I make it to the hotel just fine and fully clothed - and this place is nice. Valet parking - they take your bags as soon as you pull up and you don't see them until you get to your room. So I check in and I feel a little out of place - as if any moment someone is going to stop me and tell me to stop pretending like I am grown-up and to go find my mommy.

Anyway, I like my room - the toilet paper even has the ends folded into triangles. There are two nice queen-sized beds, which I promptly jumped on. My rooms overlooks the beautiful Atrium and pool - which is closed - grr. The only view I have of Cleveland is in the emergency exit stairwells - which is fine because who pays upwards of $250 a night and uses the stair? So I can enjoy the view by myself!


I learned a few things on this trip:

1. While wearing open-toed shoes on a business trip is good, having on red toe-nail polish is bad. It screams "Hello. I am a business professional by day and a hooker by night." I guess I should ditch the stiletto heels and leather corset as well.

2. The brake repair industry must be alive and well in Columbus. They seem to enjoy going from 70 mph to 0 mph in a split second. My car has good brakes. Dang good brakes.

It was a fun trip and I look forward to more! Oh yeah and it's wonderful to be done with school for the summer!!!!

|