Old, Comfy Shoes

Friday, May 21, 2004

Reasons

Here are the reasons why I don't drink:

1. Most people I know who had "just one drink", just for fun, took it too far. I don't think it's worth the risk.

2. People are always watching. I don't know who around me may be stuggling with alcohol. I don't want to be the stummbling block that makes it harder.

3. I see no reason to start. Yeah, none at all.

***************
This is perhaps my favorite story about my Mamaw and Papaw Petry. I don't remember how exactly my Mamaw told it but it went something like this:

"Leo was real independent you know. He would always wait until the last minute to ask me to go out on Fridays. Well I got real tired of that. So one Friday night I went out with his best friend (this friend also borrowed my Papaw's car to take her out). Well let me tell you... Leo never waited until the last minute to ask me out again. Sometimes a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do."

Amen Mamaw, Amen.

My Papaw was slated to get out of the Army one month after Pearl Harbor was bombed. He and my Mamaw married and two months later he was shipped out to the Phillipines. They didn't see each other for two years. They were married 60 years.

|