Old, Comfy Shoes

Monday, May 31, 2004

I Will Remember

To all the men and women who have given their life for my country -I thank you.

To all the men and women who have served my country, have given up dreams, have moved families and have fought battles - I thank you.

********
My Papaw served in WWII in the Philippians as a reconnaissance pilot for the Army; he left a captain. Capt. Leo Petry received the Bronze Star for a heroic mission in which he saved many men's lives.

A large group of soldiers had been surrounded and cut off by ememy forces. They had radioed many times for air support and more supplies. It was a suicide mission for any pilot that volunteered to fly. Once the soldiers began to run out of ammunition my Papaw and one other pilot volunteered to fly in more ammo. On the first run, the second plane took too much ground fire and had to return - my Papaw was flying the gauntlet of gunfire alone. He made it in, dropped off the supplies and made it out without losing the plane. He then made a second trip to drop off more necessary ammo and made it out again. Because of ammo my Papaw delivered - those men were able to fight their way out and many lives were saved. God allowed my Papaw to survive the war and live to tell his grandchildren about it.

I miss you Papaw.

|